Safe, Chemical Free, Cheap AND effective–What’s not to Love?
It’s a rare human being that doesn’t dread dentist appointments. Anything we can do to support gum and teeth health is worth doing in my book. Coconut Oil pulling is not new-it’s been around for centuries. Oil Pulling is an Ancient Ayurvedic cleansing method of the mouth in which oil is swished around in the mouth and spit out. However, I didn’t learn of it until a few years ago. Since then, I try (and encourage you) to incorporate it into my daily routine.
How to get started with Oil Pulling
At first, for some people oil pulling is slightly “off putting” due to the texture of the coconut oil but it usually becomes better as it becomes a daily practice. Unrefined coconut oil is the oil in its most natural state (when you think “un”refined, think “un”messed with). Therefore, unrefined is the recommended kind of coconut oil to use. I also find the texture of Unrefined coconut oil is much more tolerable than Refined. Ideally do your oil pulling first thing in the morning. Your mouth has been building and collecting toxins/bacteria all night so morning is a great time to clear them out. I like to do it during my shower-it helps make it part of my morning routine since the days get busy and we tend to neglect the habit if we wait till later in the day. What better time to go after the bad guys with a little coconut oil than first thing in the morning? I like to use THIS coconut oil but as long as you get organic, unrefined (think-“unmessed with”) coconut oil, you should be good to go.
Easy and Refreshing:
- Start with one tsp (work up to one Tbsp over time) of organic, unrefined Coconut Oil. By starting with a small amount, your jaw won’t get so tired
- Swish and “pull” it between your teeth (keep it going) for 20 minutes (work up to this time starting the first few times for for 5-10 minutes)
- Spit out into the garbage-not your drain.
- Rinse your mouth with clean water and spit in the sink
- I like to rinse with mouthwash after I spit out the water I have rinsed with. I like THIS toothpaste because it makes my mouth feel like a million bucks worth of clean AND it’s chemical free. Even better is that it has essential oils of Cinnamon, Clove, Lemon, Eucalyptus and Rosemary to really ramp up the clean feeling.
That’s it! Isn’t that easy?
I like how my teeth feel super fresh after Coconut Oil Pulling and, if you are an Essential Oils user with a brand approved for internal use, you can add the Essential Oil of your choice to your coconut oil such as a drop of the Vitality Lime: Orange, Cinnamon, Lemon or the Thieves blend. I only use Young Living Vitality Oils-approved for internal use- when using them in my mouth. Coconut Oil pulling is a wonderful and simple home remedy which may help us maintain oral hygiene and support tooth health. For a super clean feel-give it a try for a whiter, brighter smile!